How Will Weather Affect My Event?
As the band Outkast says, “You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can’t predict the weather.”
Weather, as we all know, is…unpredictable! Let’s say that you have found the perfect location for your event. You’ve gotten your contract signed, paid your deposits, and it’s booked! You’re in the clear, right?
When you are planning your event, make sure safety is your number one priority. Take into consideration:
- Event location and season (you may be at risk of things like blizzards or hurricanes).
- How are guests traveling (flying, driving, or taking a train)?
Inclement weather has the potential to derail even the most well-planned event. Give special care to any part of your program’s activities that may take place outdoors. It’s always advised to develop an indoor contingency plan and communicate it to your team, venue staff, entertainment, vendors, and (of course) your attendees.
Things to consider when moving an event indoors:
- Electrical needs (what type of power do you need for A/V or entertainers)?
- Floor plan (how will the current items fit in the room and do you need supplement decor)?
- Event design (does it need to still look like it’s an outdoor event? Do you need foliage or palm trees to make it look like the outdoors)?
- Food and beverage placement
- Entertainment (will your entertainers still be able to perform based on the type of act they were hired to provide)?
Types of weather to be cautious of:
- Extreme heat
- Extreme cold
Here’s a pro-tip for you: check your venue contract for a force majeure clause and make sure you understand it completely. This clause could be useful during major weather events like a blizzard or hurricane. Keep this clause in mind when you are hotel sourcing (as it can come in handy when determining your event’s venue)!
Need Expert Help Planning an Event In Any Weather? Super! We’d Love to Help. Contact Us Today.
weather outdoor event rain evacuation backup planner conference